Opened 8 years ago

Closed 8 years ago

#1000 closed help (wontfix)

using bottom script to change name of ancillary

Reported by: jcrook Owned by: willie
Component: UM Model Keywords:
Cc: Platform: HECToR
UM Version: 6.6.3


I have copied a job from Scott Osprey/ Steve Hardiman which was run on Monsoon and uses a script to change the name of an ancillary file each decade. The script I originally obtained from these guys did not even recognise it was the end of the decade. I have modified it so that it now works on Hector (see work/RCP8.5/scriptmod/incr_chemox_bot85SMO.scr), but it then wants to edit the .phist file to change the ancillary filename there. This seems to fail. I do not know how it is supposed to work although I've sent an email to Scott who may be able to help.

When the job is automatically resubmitted does it read the .phist file to find out the names of the ancillaries and where it got to?

Change History (7)

comment:1 Changed 8 years ago by willie

  • Owner changed from um_support to willie
  • Status changed from new to accepted

Hi Julia,

Sorry about the delay in replying - we've had some issues with the CMS web site which we've now fixed.

Please let me know if you still need help on this. Could you let me know what job id and the error/failure message your getting.



comment:2 Changed 8 years ago by jcrook

Well we decided it might just be easier to set the model running for a decade and then manually change the ancillary file name and set it going again for another decade and so on. If you can spot something quickly then we'd appreciate that but I don't think it is worth spending a long time on it. The run id is xgezb.


comment:3 Changed 8 years ago by willie

Hi Julia,

If you look in your file chemox.phist.ed you will see some strange characters instead of EOF. This stems from using \EOF in your bottom script at line 37. I think if you delete the back slash there and in lines 45, 52, it should work.

You also ran out of disk space during this job.

I hope that helps.



comment:4 Changed 8 years ago by jcrook

I changed the script as suggested, copied xgezb.phist to a test directory and made sure it contained contents which would make my script decide it needed to edit the .phist file. I ran the script for test but it didn't edit the .phist file but seemed to have an error again:


comment:5 Changed 8 years ago by willie

Hi Julia,

line 36 looks completely wrong to me - maybe it should be deleted? The construct you are trying to use is called a here document. It has the form


where the colons indicate things in the here document. It is a good idea to set out what you are trying to achieve first.

I hope that helps



comment:6 Changed 8 years ago by jcrook

I don't know what it is supposed to be doing. I just got the script from Scott Osprey from whom we also copied the job. Despite repeated requests he still hasn't told me what it is supposed to be doing in detail, just that the end result is to modify an ancillary file name each decade. I think we'll just change the ancillary file manually every decade. It's not worth spending any more time on this.


comment:7 Changed 8 years ago by willie

  • Resolution set to wontfix
  • Status changed from accepted to closed

Sorry I couldn't be of more help Julia.


Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.