Opened 2 years ago

Closed 2 years ago

#2073 closed help (fixed)

Problems with rearranged fields in 3d ukca ancillaries using xancil v0.56

Reported by: ee10hp Owned by: jeff
Component: UM Tools Keywords: xancil, ancillaries
Cc: Platform: ARCHER
UM Version: 7.3

Description

Hello,

I am trying to use xancil v0.56 to build some N96L63 multi-level user ancillaries for UM-UKCA v7.3.

I'll need to build these 3D ancillaries for every year from 1960 to 2010 but I offer my script for the year 1962 here as an example.

An example .job file is:
/work/n02/n02/ee10hp/ANCILS/make_ancils/pegasos_3dems_ukca_1yr_for_script_1962_ARCHER.job

The input netCDFS are in the same directory:
MACCity_BC_biomass_1962.nc, MACCity_OC_biomass_1962.nc, MACCity_SO2_biomass_1962.nc, ACCMIP_RCP85_NOx_aircraft_1962.nc

I believe this file controls the grid configuration:
/work/n02/n02/ee10hp/ANCILS/make_ancils/L63_41km_20m_20_6km_qs_o1

The ancillaries I've built with this script look odd. Items with STASH code 322 or 323 have been rearranged and now don't follow the N96L63 structure, despite the variables in the input netCDFS being in the correct orientation.

For example, if I xconv /work/n02/n02/ee10hp/ANCILS/make_ancils/pegaer3d_1962.N96L63

nx ny nz nt

0 : 192 145 63 14 Stash code = 322
1 : 193 145 2 855 Stash code = 323
2 : 192 145 2 476 Stash code = 324
3 : 192 145 63 14 Stash code = 340

I believe these rows refer to BC_biomass, OC_biomass, SO2_biomass and NOx_aircraft, respectively. Is that right?

I think I can exclude the input netCDFS as a source of the problem because, regardless of which netCDFs I read in, it is the stash code I apply in the ancillary which seems to determine the structure of the resulting variable in the ancillary.

I was wondering if there is something apparently wrong with my .job file or if this is a known bug in xancil v0.56?

I know that an ex-colleague has previously built 3D ancillaries using xancil v0.5 - Would reverting to an earlier version of xancil perhaps help?

Many thanks in advance,

Hana

Change History (5)

comment:1 Changed 2 years ago by jeff

  • Owner changed from um_support to jeff
  • Status changed from new to accepted

Hi Hana

This looks like a bug in xancil0.56, not a known bug until now. I will fix this bug but in the meantime you could try using xancil0.55.

Jeff.

comment:2 Changed 2 years ago by ee10hp

Thanks Jeff for your quick reply. The ancillaries have built correctly using xancil0.55.

Hana

comment:3 Changed 2 years ago by jeff

Glad version 0.55 worked ok. I've now fixed the bug in xancil0.57 and made it the default version on archer and monsoon.

Jeff.

comment:4 Changed 2 years ago by ee10hp

Hi Jeff,

Just to say I've also tested my .job in v0.57 on ARCHER and that's now working fine.
Many thanks for your help - Please feel free to close this ticket.

Hana

comment:5 Changed 2 years ago by jeff

  • Resolution set to fixed
  • Status changed from accepted to closed
Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.