Opened 2 years ago

Closed 20 months ago

#2757 closed help (wontfix)

Atmosphere only job not running

Reported by: l.j.wilcox Owned by: grenville
Component: UM Model Keywords:
Cc: Platform: ARCHER
UM Version: 8.5


I'm trying to set up a new atmosphere only job with version8.5 and am having trouble getting it going. I've managed to run the model for a few months. I accidentally set my initial run as a CRUN rather than an NRUN, which I think is why it stopped after a few months. I've now changed the job to an NRUN and set it to start from one of the dumps it created. It looks like it does something, as the output files have been updated, but it fails after about 45 minutes. Are you able to see what I'm doing wrong?

The job is xohsb. The leave file is /home/n02/n02/laura/um/umui_out/xohsb000.xohsb.d19036.t101458.leave

Thank you!

Change History (7)

comment:1 Changed 2 years ago by grenville


See /work/n02/n02/laura/um/dataw/xohsb/pe_output/xohsb.fort6.pe115 for example:

??!!!???!!!???!!!???!!!???!!!???!!! ERROR ???!!!???!!!???!!!???!!!???!!!???!!!?
? Error in routine: glue_conv_5a
? Error Code: 3
? Error Message: Mid conv went to the top of the model at point 45 in seg on call 1
? Error generated from processor: 115
? This run generated 19 warnings

The model has failed.


comment:2 Changed 2 years ago by l.j.wilcox

Thanks Grenville. That doesn't sound good…

There's loads of those .pe files. How did you know to look in pe115 for the error message?

I've not run the model like this before. What's the best approach to dealing with this kind of problem so early in a simulation? Should I do a reconfiguration run and cross my fingers? Try starting again with a completely different dump? Worry about my ancillary files…?


comment:3 Changed 2 years ago by grenville

Hi Laura

Bit of hacking about (some of those files have different sizes too). It may be worth shortening the time step, or perturbing the dump, or using a different one. If that doesn't help, it'd be worth writing out some dumps leading up to the failure - they may point to a problem.


comment:4 follow-up: Changed 2 years ago by grenville


Has anything worked?


comment:5 Changed 2 years ago by willie

  • Owner changed from um_support to grenville
  • Platform set to ARCHER
  • Status changed from new to assigned

comment:6 in reply to: ↑ 4 Changed 2 years ago by l.j.wilcox

Hi Grenville,

I tried a few combinations of using a different start dump, using different SST and sea ice ancillaries, and reducing the timestep. It's still not happy. I think I'm going to come back to this in a few months when I have a bit more time to dig into what's going wrong.


comment:7 Changed 20 months ago by grenville

  • Resolution set to wontfix
  • Status changed from assigned to closed

Closed - please open a new ticket if required

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.