Opened 11 months ago

Last modified 4 weeks ago

#3108 accepted project-task

integrate JULES vegetation acclimation branch into UM

Reported by: vidale Owned by: pmcguire
Component: UM Model Keywords: JULES, UM, acclimation, vegetation
Cc: mtodt, dbcl@…, rfu Platform: ARCHER
UM Version: 11.5

Description

Hi Patrick
Can you integrate the JULES vegetation acclimation branch into the UM?

Doug Clark's JULES vegetation acclimation branch is:
https://code.metoffice.gov.uk/trac/jules/browser/main/branches/dev/douglasclark/r16016_acclimation_um

It is branched from JULES 5.6 (corresponding to UM11.5).
It has changes that include time-averaged temperature variables that need to be interfaced with the UM.

Markus Todt is using UM suite u-bp248 on Archer (UM11.0), and it would be good to do the integration and make it work with that suite.

Change History (9)

comment:1 Changed 11 months ago by pmcguire

  • Status changed from new to accepted

comment:2 Changed 9 months ago by pmcguire

We have integrated the code.
Some question remains as to the appropriate vertical height above the ground for the air temperature that is time-averaged and used by the vegetation code.
The current suite is u-bq532, with changes checked into the MOSRS.
The version of the suite that is currently being run on ARCHER is u-bq532q. We have yet to run more than one six-month cycle. Hopefuly we will run for multiple 18-month cycles within a week or so.
I will keep this ticket open for updates.
Patrick

comment:3 Changed 4 months ago by pmcguire

Further analysis of the output of u-bq532 has led to the observation that the GPP on the C3 PFTs (i.e. all the PFTs except C4 grass) is very small, i.e., 17 orders of magnitude smaller than normal, when using the Farquhar acclimation option. This needs to be fixed. Maybe I did something wrong in the code integration.
Patrick

comment:4 Changed 2 months ago by pmcguire

see ticket #3317 for details of the GPP issues. This debugging is still ongoing.
Patrick

comment:5 Changed 2 months ago by pmcguire

Markus was able to find the bug in the GPP for the Farquhar photosynthesis suite. See #3317.
I will start a new run shortly on ARCHER.
Patrick

comment:6 Changed 2 months ago by pmcguire

  • Cc p.l.vidale@… removed
  • Reporter changed from pmcguire to vidale

comment:7 Changed 2 months ago by mtodt

Hi Patrick, Pier Luigi

I turned (or am in the process of turning) my working copies into finalised branches. The associated Met Office trac ticket is 5759, where I'm detailing the process.
I have also created suite u-bx260, which includes the finalised UM and JULES branches as well as the 9-PFT settings that were optional in u-bt231.

Cheers
Markus

Last edited 2 months ago by mtodt (previous) (diff)

comment:8 Changed 2 months ago by pmcguire

I have started a 20-year run (1988-2018) on ARCHER based upon u-bx260 with the Farquhar photosynthesis and acclimation switches turned on. This has fixed 1988 CO2 vales (343ppm). The suite number is u-bx393. The finalized UM and JULES branches (with Markus's changes) have been checked in to MOSRS.
Patrick

comment:9 Changed 4 weeks ago by pmcguire

We ran a 20-year run (1988-2008) on ARCHER with the up-to-date Farquhar photosynthesis and acclimation code turned on. The suite number is u-bx394. The suite was updated with Rebecca Oliver's latest changes to the offline JULES acclimation suite. The AutoAssess results are currently being analyzed.
Patrick

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.