|Version 9 (modified by ros, 18 months ago) (diff)|
Site IndexAbout CMS
Introduction to the MONSooN service
MONSooN is an acronym (of sorts) for the Met Office and NERC Superco(o)mputing Node.
The start date for the full user service on MONSooN was 1st December 2009.
The MONSooN service is intended to provide a collaborative environment for approved NERC and Met Office users. This collaboration is managed under the auspices of the Joint Weather and Climate Research Program (JWCRP). The MONSooN service aims to facilitate
- sharing of modelling results
- joint development of software
- access to Met Office data
The MONSooN service is provided by the Met Office outside of the full Met Office firewall. The hardware for the service is identical to the Met Office hardware inside the firewall but is smaller in size and configured for more flexibility. The MONSooN service currently (September 2015) consists of:
- a 120 node Cray XC40 system, that is 3840 cores in total (The login nodes are an Ivybridge chip, the compute nodes a Haswell chip)
- 500 Tbytes of fast storage, for /home and /project disk areas
- a postprocessing (linux) system
Further information on the MONSooN Cray XC40 hardware can be found on the Met Office Collaboration Twiki
Instructions on how to convert a UM job from the IBM to Cray XC40 are available on the Collaboration Twiki: Port UM IBM job to Cray
Users new to MONSooN
Before running the Unified Model (UM) on MONSooN for the first time, all users will need to follow some setup steps.
For UM versions 8.x and older:
The UM is available using the PUMA service for the UMUI and FCM servers. Make sure you complete the following steps:
- Register for a PUMA account. Please email the CMS Team(ncas-umsupport@…)
- Set up ssh-agent on PUMA. Instructions can be found here.
For UM versions 10.x and newer:
These versions are run through the new Rose system from the MONSooN VM called exvmsrose. Instructions for set-up and running the UM via Rose are available on the Collaboration Twiki: Getting Started with Rose
Help and Support
For help and support on the MONSooN service users should contact
- Katie Kerr, the MONSooN service manager for all questions about the service delivery (monsoon at metoffice.gov.uk)
- John Whitlock, for all questions about current or potential collaborative project proposals (john.whitlock at metoffice.gov.uk)
- the NCAS-CMS helpdesk for all questions about the PUMA service, the UMUI, FCM and the UM installations on MONSooN
- Further information can also be found on the MONSooN Collaboration Twiki