This page will serve as a log of our activities and thoughts on processes and practices involved in making the transition from HECToR to ARCHER.
This is a first stab at listing some of the things which need to be done for the HECToR-ARCHER transition – to be fleshed out.
Maintain log of time/effort for the project.
- Migration of data from /home and /work
- alert users to start doing this with some discernment
- check with/alert HECToR
- increase RDF quota to accommodate data
- Advise users of possible differences in model results on ARCHER
- should they start new experiments yet
- can they finish work before HECToR switched off
- no chance of running on an XE6 after March
- Decide which models we will support – take the opportunity to stop support for UM vn 7.1 for example – others? Should we only support certain configurations at specific resolutions?
- Find out what access/data policies limit ARCHER usage (early access?)
- What will be the equivalent of hum - should we set up a package account (like for oifs)?
- What will be the new file system structure – hope it will be (insist that it is?) /work/n02/n02/… and /home/n02/n02/… otherwise lots of things could break
- Set up a UMDIR - copy data
We need to make a test pair of installations for a set of standard configurations - one for Intel and one for Cray – possible conflict with namelist creation by small execs otherwise
How much of this can be done on the TDS?
Will the TDS have a serial queue?
- HadGEM2-ES – extreme example
- HadGEM3 model GA? Version?
- NEMO (see what Andrew Coward is doing about NEMO)
- Coupled job
- Need pairs of GCOMs too
- Performance testing – compare Intel/Cray timings (Tom may have some useful info here?) – simple compiler options, we aren’t optimizing the models here.
- Record results
- We can use the MO’s Intel settings
- Singapore Cray settings?
Model behaviour testing
- Simon’s check_port for looking at model divergences?
- should we get a scientist involved?
- Record results
Install the UMs we wish to support
- Back end and front end have same architecture
- Shells/OS issues
- Scheduler - script changes
- Test small execs
- Perform usual suite of porting tests
- Consider other tests
- Test other utilities xconv/xancil
- No LMS machine - revamp archiving to use one of the post processors
- NWP tools NDDiag…
- UMUI changes
- Config files updated
Personnel - we will have extra resource devoted to Porting (inexperienced 'though)